What is the Government-in-Action Youth Tour?
You’re a Texas high school student.-- You’re smart -- you have big dreams. Maybe you’ve never been out of the state, and maybe you’ve never flown on a plane, but you want to travel -- experience a big city, visit historic landmarks and meet people, and not just fellow high schoolers but influential public figures, like U.S. representatives.
If that describes you, then you’re a candidate to apply for a slot on the Government-in-Action Youth Tour, an all-expense-paid trip to Washington, D.C., June 12–21, sponsored by Concho Valley Electric Cooperative and organized by Texas Electric Cooperatives. Apply to Concho Valley EC’s Youth Tour contest for a chance to win a ticket for this adventure, called by many -- The Trip of a lifetime!
Youth Tour is an action-packed trip to the U.S. capital with about 125 of your peers and chaperones from across Texas. You’ll visit the Washington National Cathedral, Arlington National Cemetery, Smithsonian Institution, memorials and more. Activities include seeing a performance at the Kennedy Center and meeting elected officials.
You could be part of this legacy shared by the more than 3,800 past Texas Youth Tour students who have participated since 1965. To apply, submit an application and an essay to be judged independently through Concho Valley Electric Cooperative.
Submission Deadline: December 12th, 2018
Eligible entrants must:
- Be in the 10th, 11th, or 12th grade.
- Attend high school in one of the following towns: Sterling City, Central, Lake View, Grape Creek, Robert Lee, Bronte, Miles, Veribest, Wall, Christoval, Paint Rock, Mertzon, or Water Valley.
- Submit an essay on the topic:
- “You are in charge of the energy efficiency program at your school. Describe ways you would recommend for your school to use electricity more efficiently.”
Applications must arrive at Concho Valley Electric Cooperative by 8 a.m., December 12th, 2018. They may be submitted any one of several ways: by dropping them off at the office, by mail, or by email to [email protected]oop or by fax at 325-655-6950. For more information about Youth Tour, visit YouthTour.org and TexasYouthTour.com or contact Merissa Swink at 325-655-6957 or [email protected].
- Concho Valley Electric Cooperative will sponsor four area students on an expense paid trip to Washington, D.C., June 12 through June 21, 2019.
- The contest will be open to any student who is a sophomore, junior, or senior in the school year 2018/2019 in one of these school districts: Lake View, Central, Sterling, Grape Creek, Robert Lee, Bronte, Miles, Veribest, Wall, Christoval, Paint Rock, Irion County and Water Valley. Applicants do not have to be dependents of CVEC members.
- Each contestant will submit an essay not to exceed 500 words on the subject: “You are in charge of the energy efficiency program at your school. Describe ways you would recommend for your school to use electricity more efficiently.”
- Complete the Youth Tour Application form and submit along with the essay.
- An independent committee will select the winning essays on the basis of knowledge of the subject, originality, composition, neatness and grammar. Reference materials and other information can be obtained at local high schools, public libraries or online.
- Essays and applications must be submitted by December 12th, 2018
- Four winners will be selected from all submitted entries.
- Winners will be notified by March 9, 2019. One runner-up will be selected in the event a winner cannot make the trip.
How to Apply
Submit your application and essay...
Submission Form Coming Soon
- Contest Rules
- Contest Application
- In Person:
2530 Pulliam St
San Angelo, TX 76905
- Via Postal Mail:
PO BOX 3388
San Angelo, TX 76902-3388
- Via Email: to [email protected]